Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Candy Does it Right

I think it's necessary that, if we are going to have a blog which discusses the logical fallacies and errors used in Candy's blog, we also must focus some time on encouraging her when she does it right.

Yesterday, I was very pleasantly surprised to see this post by Candy (part of which Elena has already responded to):

Rachel had commented:

Q Dear Candy, I am a Catholic and I read your link on how to be saved. I have done all those things (accepting Christ, proclaiming it, believing it in my heart, not being ashamed, recognizing that I am a sinner). I have done those and am still Catholic. Do you think I am saved? -Rachel

Candy responded:
A It sounds like it. Next I suggest you grab a KJV Bible, and read it ALL the way through, beginning to end (NO jumping around). However, if you are in agreement with the pope that you have to attend a Catholic church to be saved, or the common RC belief that you cannot be saved by faith alone, but must include works as well (I've had Catholics on both sides of this issue post here), then you may want to look into your spirit. You see, the Bible tells us that JESUS is our mediator between God and man. RC's often make Jesus out to be one in whom man cannot approach, so Mary appeases him, and RC's go through Marry as what the Vatican Holy See website calls the "mediatrix." This is not what the Bible teaches. The Bible teaches that Jesus is gentle and all-loving. He says "come unto Me all ye... and I will give you rest." Hence, if you believe what you said, then why stay at the RC church? The belief you've professed is a Christian one, so why not attend a Bible believing, Bible preaching Christian church, and follow what the Bible teaches? I'll be more than glad to help you find a great Christian church in your area, if you'd like. :-)

Here are the things that I was impressed by.

#1: She admitted that Rachel could be in a Catholic Church, and still be saved.
#2: Candy posted the question in full, and responded in exactly the manner she was asked.
#3: Candy directed Rachel directly to the Bible, not to a site on the web, or a testimony.
#4: She did not make a blanket statement about ALL Catholics believing that works is necessary for Salvation...she expressed that she had heard many on either side of the issue. I felt this was fair.
#5: She went on to explain her opinion, and what she had learned, based on the Bible's teachings.
#6: She offered to help find Rachel a church like Candy's, but she said, "If you'd like", not "You must leave your church in order to be saved." (I understand that Candy most likely doesn't believe that the church you go to makes you saved, but sometimes it has come across that way, perhaps unintended by her, and that is why I am happy she got it across differently this time).

There is an exception, I realize that she did state that a Catholic church isn't Christian, with this statement:
Hence, if you believe what you said, then why stay at the RC church? The belief you've professed is a Christian one, so why not attend a Bible believing, Bible preaching Christian church, and follow what the Bible teaches?

But at the same time, remember that Rachel asked her opinion, and Candy gave it. So I am satisfied with it.

While the Catholics and Candy will never agree on certain points, at least with this type of post expressing her faith, none should be angered by things such as severe and harsh accusations which are unproven, deception, etc.

I just wanted to post this to explain to Candy that it isn't her beliefs that differ with Catholics that is a problem. It is the method in which she argues.

And yesterday, she got it right, in my opinion! :)

*********************************************************************

P.S. Rachel has responded, and I think she made a good point!

Thank you for your response to my questions. I DO believe what I've said, but I don't really see the need to leave the Catholic church. I find it to BE a Christian church. It is the church that led me to my beliefs! I've never been told that my works save me, nor that only going to a Catholic church would save me, nor that I needed to go through anyone but Jesus. We also read the Bible regularly. I think if I have been saved, I am fine where I am, don't you?

5 comments:

kozimom said...

Agreed - a MUCH better response on Candy's part!

Elena LaVictoire said...

Good points Bethany. I agree that that was a much better exchange

Kelly said...

I agree. I would also point out that she's been letting Catholics post in record numbers lately.

Bethany said...

Yes, I noticed that too, and I really have appreciated it.

Elena LaVictoire said...

So have I.