Pages

Friday, March 21, 2008

Yet more baptism . . .

Although the original post is falling a bit down on the page, due to Candy apparently having a lot of free time to post today, I saw a new comment of interest was added:

1 Peter 3:21 says:

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filfth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

We are saved by baptism only because we have first been saved by faith through grace by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. If a person then does NOT get baptized, then they may not really be saved.

Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments." Jesus commands that we get baptized after we get saved. If someone doesn't follow Jesus' commands, then do they really love Jesus? And if one doesn't really love Jesus, then they are not saved.

Salvation comes through faith in Christ alone, and that is why those who never got a chance to be baptized before they died still go to heaven. However, if one doesn't get baptized after being saved (assuming they don't die soon after salvation) then their not getting baptized is a sign that they probably don't have the Spirit of God indwelling them.

I got saved on November 18, 1995 at 10pm at night, sitting around the kitchen table, with my hubby (then boyfriend) and two of my Christian friends showing me salvation from John chapter 3.

I knew early on that I wanted to get baptized. It kept gnawing at me stronger and stronger, until I knew I HAD to do it. I got baptized on April 7, 1996 on Resurrection Sunday.

At that baptism, the pastor received a word of prophecy over me. That prophecy is personal, but I can tell you that this blog is a surprising part of that prophecy.

Since that day in 1995 I have continued to grow in my Christian walk. The Lord speaks with me every day, and teaches me new things.


I think I may just be too different theologically from Candy to really understand her answer. It looks to me as if she said that when Peter says that we're saved by baptism, he's saying that baptism is a work (or fruit, if you will) that we produce which proves our faith. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Joy, I think Candy might be reading your blog, after your recent comment. This looks like a clear reply to your post.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

No comments: