Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Our New Look

I thought it would be nice to change our look a little bit and this template seemed to fit the bill!


I also want to readdress this comment from Candy last week in her com boxes:
There are several websites out on the net, whose sole existence is to be a blog, or rumor mill about this blog. :-?
That may or may not be but this blog isn't one of them! Never has been. Kelly suggested that to totally dispel that notion that I should change the picture in the side bar and she brought this lovely painting by Vermeer to my attention. I think it is perfect for this blog!

The woman stands between a depiction of the Last Judgment hung in a heavy black frame, and a table covered with jewelry representing material possessions. The empty scale stresses that she is balancing spiritual rather than material considerations. Vermeer's portrayal does not impart a sense of tension or conflict, rather the woman exudes serenity. Her self-knowledge is reflected in the mirror on the wall. Therefore, the painting suggests the importance of moderation, self-awareness, and a full understanding of the implications of a final judgment, and what it would be to be the woman who gave birth to it.
That's all we really have ever tried to do - provide a balance to the misinformation Candy provides, so that inquiring readers can discern for themselves about Catholicism.

Now, there were comments in the com boxes that more directly related to Candy as a person. I e-mailed her last week and said:

You are invited to go through our archives and and have me delete anything that you consider to be untrue or gossipy about you. I think we have tried very hard to stay on topic and NOT malign you as a person, wife, mother, woman and only keep focused on our theological differences. But if you find a post that you feel is offensive in that regard, let me know and I will remove it.
Candy declined. Nonetheless the offer still holds. However, I don't find any posts that specifically fall into that category. There may be comments in the come boxes and the other bloggers and I try to catch these. I am not inclined to take the time to go look at past archives to dig these up as I think the comments show a nice balance of us getting our butts kicked in the comment boxes as well (a fact that Candy never mentions). No one can accuse us of taking down comments whole sale simply because we don't like them or they don't agree with us!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button





StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

9 comments:

ann nonymous said...

Let me be the first to say I really like the new look. It's much easier for me to read! I love the new picture. So apropos.
Thanks, Elena!

Kelly said...

I love the new layout, too. I especially like the doubled line of Amazon books, because it is faster to scroll past them now.

Tanya said...

That painting is one of my dad's favorites - and perfect for the theme of this blog.

Tracy said...

I really like the new look and I also agree with your comments Elena!!

Dana said...

Hi Ladies -- this is off topic, but could someone give me some detailed info on the INRI above Christ's cross? I am looking for details to explain to my children.

thanks

Dana said...

Were you going to do a bible study on a Catholic writing? If so, I would be highly interested in participating that.

Please let me know which decision is made -- to do it or not to. Thanks again

kritterc said...

Love the new layout and I especially love the new picture. Vermeer is one of my favorite artists. This is a little off subject, but I have written about my conversion on my blog site. I am not a prolific writer at all, but I have recently felt the need to try to put my conversion story down on paper. I have been a member of the Catholic church for almost 30 years, but it has only been in the last few years that I have truly embraced our beautiful faith. Rome - I am home!!! Peace and Blessings.

Tanya said...

KritterC, when I get time I am going to read your blog - I LOVE conversion stories. When I was first converting, I read so many conversion stories and watched The Journey Home every week. I always found them intruguing. I have been Catholic for over 2 years now and have never written down my conversion story. It is something I want to do but I keep putting it off. Maybe you will inspire me!

Kelly said...

Hi Dana!

INRI is an abbreviation. When someone was crucified by the Romans, their crime was written on a sort of shingle, and nailed to the cross above their head. Pontius Pilate had "Jesus Christ, King of the Jews" written.

In Latin, it would be abbreviated INRI. I didn't take the time to look up the exact Latin, but I know that Jesus begins with an I in Latin, and Rex is king, so two of the four letters.

An official copy of the sentence would have been mailed to Rome, for their records. St. John's gospel says that the Jews asked that this sentence to changed to say that Jesus claimed to be king of the Jews, but Pilate refused, probably because the official copy was already sent.

Hope this helps!